Can you spell Porsche? Here’s What We Found….
We share your pain. We set out to find, identify and list the top independent Porsche repair shops in every state. The research wasn’t pretty or simple to achieve. Various online searches produce some local results and a collection of geographic shop listing sites, such as, Extreme Wrench, Repairpal, Pcarshops, Mechanic Advisor, etc.
The results from these sources vary greatly and most were less than reassuring. In some cases, many of the links were broken, businesses closed and some of the links were dangerous! Some of the best shops aren’t even in the lists! Here’s what our research revealed:
We spent many months researching each listing site and the criteria they require for a shop to be listed as an independent Porsche repair shop. Many of the listings are automated, so if you tick a box that says you work on Porsche, you’re listed!
Many times, we’d follow a link to a shop claiming to work on Porsche, only to find their headline was “bimmer specialists.”
Clearly, some of the listings represent genuine quality, but they tend to be lost in a sea of “me too” shops and surrounded by listings of just about anyone who’s ever picked up a wrench! We doubt many of the listed shops scarcely have metric wrenches, let alone appropriate diagnostic equipment!
On these listing sites, most of the shops are shown in order of their geographic distance from your location – some of that makes sense, but Porsche is a specialized brand, so choosing between shops based on relatively short distances does not make sense at all – Undoubtedly, it’s the skill level that counts. Setting the correct oil level after a simple oil change on a 996 is not always the easiest task – trusting this task to anyone who just happens to be local, is very risky. Porsche repairs and maintenance require specific knowledge, experience and skills – not just a tick in the box!
The Funny Stuff
- In the listings and on the linked sites we found multiple examples where Porsche had been misspelled – even in headings! Now, if you can’t spell the brand, I’m not sure you should be working on it!
- We found statements like “we specialize in Porsche” along with a listing of 50 other manufacturers they “specialize” in too! Specialize – “concentrate on and become expert in a particular subject or skill.”
- There is a lack of individuality – there are literally thousands of shops with words such as Euro, European, Autobahn, Motorworks or motors in their name! Strangely, almost without exception, none of the top independent Porsche shops exhibit this naming cliché.
- Some of the websites looked great – maybe 15 years ago! And for many of the linked sites, the most challenging thing to find was contact information. A few sites literally provided no contact information at all!
The Annoying and Dangerous Stuff
- In one disturbing example, an image describing service was nothing short of pure racism.
- On multiple occasions, following the listed link produced a Chinese gambling site or far worse!
- On many occasions the browser actually refused to go to the site listed because it spotted harmful software on the domain.
- Many of the listed companies are closed, and links to their sites are dead.
- Many of the best Porsche repair shops aren’t in the lists!
- Many links go to Facebook pages that were last updated in 2015!
- Some links go to multi-level marketing companies promising everything but Porsche repair work.
The PcarWise Guide to Local Independent Porsche Repair Shops
Our guide to local independent Porsche repair shops was created, edited and maintained by hand. Every shop listed has an excellent set of Porsche skills and you will not find any bad links. Making the right choices for service and repair work on your Porsche can have a serious affect on your car’s health and your wallet! Use our guide to find the best Porsche shops to choose from in your nearest metro area.